Monday, May 9, 2016

R.S's Shepherd's Pie

So, one of the few R. Simmon's recipes that I found on the Net (until my cookbook arrives) was Shepherd's Pie. It has a pretty high exchange of cards (1 Bread, 3 meat, 1 vegie, 1 fat, 1 Joker), but I thought I'd give it a whirl anyhow. I figured that by making it, I would be avoiding making something less healthy.
This recipe's main meat is ground turkey (although very lean ground beef can be used). Other ingredients include mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes. The potatoes are boiled, mashed and provide the topping for the mixture. I used Chieftain Red Potatoes.
The calories are 358 per serving and there are six servings in the dish. 
So, I ended up using my new meal prep containers to measure as closely as I could the six servings, so as not to spoon too much onto the dinner plate. I think it worked pretty well. I added a couple red grapes, two cubes of watermelon and 2 tbsp. of non-fat cottage cheese.
My lunch was a slice of Italian bread (so I probably went over on the bread allotment) with my tuna mix (probably over on the meat allotment, too) with 2 tblsp. cottage cheese and three watermelon pieces. 
I also had 4 ounces of fruit juice in the morning.
One thing I can say about the Shepherd's Pie - it is quite filling. Next time I make it, I'm cutting back by one potato (it takes 5 small) and adding more spices. Maybe a bit of oregano in the filling, and more black pepper and no salt Mrs. Dash when mashing the potatoes (which also includes fresh parsley).

Tonight and tomorrow night's dinner will be the leftover servings from the S. pie - probably the same stuff as last night's meal (fruit, cottage cheese). 
Today, I didn't eat anything except for 4 oz. fruit juice when I woke up. I've just been drinking water all day. I might have a pudding cup in a little bit (in fact, I know I will because it sounds good right now).
My plan after the Shepherds Pie is gone is to do the R. Simmons Tex Mex Tuna Casserole.  It's 8 servings @ 256 cal per serving. It will take 1 bread, 1 meat, 1 fat, and 1 dairy card. 
So far, Keith has liked the chicken recipe from a few days ago, and the Shepherd's Pie. We eat and talk about various modifications to make it better.
It always seems to boil down to more spices, though. 

I've also started using my canning jars to store the fruit and left over ingredients from various things I use (such as the beef broth from last night). 
I found some vids on YouTube for mixing breakfast oatmeal with fruit and such in the jars, too. I have to research a bit, though, because calories weren't mentioned at all. If it does work out for my program, I'll have a new breakfast to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment